The first series of Friday Night Lights came in the year 2006 and it was appreciated by viewers on a very large scale. It is an American drama television series that revolves around the game of football and the life of the players and other people associated with it.The onscreen portrayal of different characters is done wonderfully by all the stars.
Let us see the critical reviews for this television series obtained from different sources
- A website named Meteoritic gave the score of 78 to the first series of this show out of 100.
- In the New York Times, Virginia Heffernan gave the view that that it was a great series to watch and even compared it to the way any poem or a painting is presented.
- The Washington Post also described the series as extraordinary and a must watch.
- Bill Simmons who was earlier a columnist for ESPN magazine had a view that it was one of the greatest sports related show that has ever come on the television till date and even inspired the readers of his column to watch the show.
- There were many positive reviews from USA Today, San Francisco Chronicle and various other important sources at international level.
- Jonathan Bernsteincalled the show as beautifully shot and The Metro gave it 4 stars out of 5.
- Many online journalists called this show very entertaining and urged the viewers that they should watch this series
- Some negative reviews came from Philadelphia Inquirer’s side calling this show as standard high school sports soap opera.
- Season two reviews were not that good as compared to the first season. Some said that it was not at par with the first season and has lost its innocence. Some said that it has gone out of sync and does not relate to the reality. But other critics still had faith and believed that it will eventually turn out to be a good season.
- This TV series was amongst the list of top 10 TV shows in the year 2006 and 2007 in the Time Out Magazine.
- AOL ranked it as the fifth best school show of all time.
- The final season was also appreciated by critics. Metacritic gave it a score of 82 out of 100.
- In 2011 Poniewozik rated it at no. 7 in the list of top 10 TV shows in the year 2011 and had a lot of praise for the final season. He also rated the final episode of this series as no.1 in 2011.
- Slant magazine also included it in the top 10 list in the year 2011.
- Several other platforms like the Salt Lake Tribune and TV Guide also called it as one of the best shows on television because it showed the real life situations and the complications that everyone goes through in life at different times.
The overall reviews for this show by the critics have been praiseworthy and positive. Some negative reviews are also there but that is only a very small portion. Whosoever has watched this series has really appreciated it a lot for the portrayal that has been depicted onscreen.
It really is a quite difficult to conceive a realistic approach for a TV Show and then earn the sizeable audience that the show actually deserves. Same has been the case with Friday Night Lights; it had the exceptional realistic plot that included the deep exploration of central America and also some very sound characterization of the cast but still failed to achieve the targeted number of audience.